Local Government

Conditional Use Permit

What Is A Conditional Use?

A Conditional Use is a use listed in the Zoning By-Law which, because of its location, size, or some other aspect of the use, requires specific approval of the Municipal Council before it can be established.

When Is A Conditional Use Required?

A Conditional Use is required when an individual proposes to use a parcel of land in a manner that might affect adjacent land owners or properties. A Conditional Use may be required when an individual wants to:

  • Establish or expand a Livestock Production Operation.
  • Establish a Contractor's Yard.
  • Establish Camping & tenting grounds.
  • Build a temporary additional dwelling or Mobile Home.
  • Store explosives, toxic or hazardous material on his land.
  • Build an asphalt batching plant.
 What Is The Cost Of A Conditional Use?

The non-refundable cost of a Conditional Use is $250.00. 

What Is The Purpose Of A Conditional Use Hearing?

The Municipal Council holds Conditional Use hearings as required to provide an open and fair forum where all sides in each case can be heard. The Municipal Council hears all representations in favor and against the Conditional Use application before ruling on the applicant's proposal.

When Do I Hear If My Conditional Use has Been Approved or Rejected?

Individuals will hear if their Conditional Use application has been approved or rejected following the Public Hearing and the Municipal Council's review of all pertinent information.

Can I Appeal The Council Decision If My Application Is Rejected?

The Municipal Council's decision is final and there is no appeal.

How Long Does The Conditional Use Process Take?

If the application is received 15 or more days prior to the next Regular Council Meeting, the matter will be heard by Council at their next Regular Meeting. If it is received less than 15 days prior to the Regular Meeting, the matter will be heard at the following Regular Meeting.

Who Is Notified Of A Conditional Use?

All property owners within a 100 meter (328 ft) radius of the lot that the Conditional Use applies to will receive notices.

Who Can Make Representation To Council Regarding A Conditional Use Application?

The applicant and any other persons affected by the proposed use will have the opportunity to make representation to Council by making an oral submission at the hearing or by filing a written submission with the body holding the hearing, before or at the hearing.

What Do I Require To Apply For A Conditional Use?

Site Plan and Applicable Fee

Where Do I Apply For A Conditional Use?

PTH #6 & Veterans Memorial Rd (Recreation Centre)                                                                                  Western Interlake Planning District                                                                                                                  Box 269, St. Laurent, Manitoba R0C 2S0 

Hours - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Thursday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Friday  

For further information please contact the Planning Office at:

Phone: 204-646-2615

Email: wipd@mymts.net

Want to stay up to date with the RM of West Interlake?   Sign Up Here: